The Pledge: An Update

Melanin Brooks 9:47 AM |




2012 looks to be another great year for gamers. There will be plenty of quality releases throughout the year. Oh and something called the Vita dropped yesterday. I heard it is supposed to be a big deal.


And Melanin Brooks will not be a part of it.
No, this is not some boycott. I am not giving up all my worldly belongings to protest Wall Street in a public park. Also, I am not on drugs. The truth is I just have too many damned unfinished games. I touched on my backlog (heh heh heh, I said "log") in a previous entry and decided to finally do something about it.

Until my Playstation 3 queue is at zero, I will not purchase another video game in 2012.  Yes my friends, these are desperate times.  As I type this, I would estimate that I am at around 20 unfinished games (sports titles don't count) including Bayonetta, Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim (FFFUUUUUU)  I was able to knock off Batman Arkham City and Limbo last week.

My problem was that I was building a collection, but not enjoying that collection.  Quality titles collecting dust at my expense.  Why spend the money, if I'm not going to invest the time?

I figure this is going to take me all year.  In between work/school/girlfriend my time to game has become severely limited, and with the sheer number and the length of titles, I better brew the coffee right now.

I will attempt to update this blog as I make progress on this journey.  God willing, I won't be updating this post in 2013.

Update May 2012: We're almost six months into the year and I'm still going strong.  No new purchases so far.  I'm getting the Pookie itch because of Ghost Recon: Future Solider and Max Payne 3, but I put my addiction on the cross and will push on through my queue.  Just wrapped up Saint's Row: The Third, started my run through Yakuza 3 and grinding through Skyrim (I'll beat that on my deathbed.)

My issue is I can't play one game for extended stretches of time anymore (age? ADD?)  The days of 8+ hours of non-stop gameplay are done.  2-4 broken up through the day is about all I can do at this point.  Trust me no one wants to get through this more than I, but other things take precedence. Right now I'm feeling like the kid who broke his arm, or Little Bill Thompson in "Boogie Nights."  Keeping up with the happenings isn't enough.  I need to be knee deep in the action, like someone NOT named Little Bill Thompson.

I miss being current and giving corporations my money for online passes.

4 comments:

hecate said...

So ummm, why don't those count?

Melanin Brooks said...

Because sports games traditionally don't end in the traditional sense. You win the championship, and the new season starts. You can play up to 20 seasons in some sports games.

hecate said...

But if you win all 20 seasons, don't you finish?

Melanin Brooks said...

No. It just starts over. Nothing changes from the first time you win. Besides, it would just be a waste of time. 82 games at 20 seasons...that's over 1600 games. I would never finish.

Post a Comment